Disable Highlight

Friday, May 30, 2014

Tableau Tip : Using Refresh embedded parameter

In the recent project I've been focusing a lot on live connections to MySQL to replace some existing internal dashboards with more insightful ones. The great thing about our MySQL environment is that it's super fast and I can turn around a dashboard built on a template in less than an hour.

The users complained saying dashboards with live connections are not showing the latest data. Why? Tableau is using the cache (as it should).To solve this, all I have to do is force the dashboard to refresh every time the user hits the server. I accomplish this by adding the ":refresh" parameter to the URL. My URL now looks like:

https://[TableauServerURL]/views/[WorkbookName]/[ViewName]?:embed=y&:toolbar=no&:refresh

The refresh option on the end is what tells Tableau Server to re-render the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment